Nigerian School Songs



Hey Bloggie,

As per the title above, these are not school rhymes. I might be showing my age here but these are some of the songs that were sung while I was in primary and secondary school. I know they vary from school to school. But they were all some form of school spirit/ general razzness. Back in the days, most primary schools used the unchanging SOP (Songs of Praise). I won’t even bother to put those songs here because I never really knew them. I was definitely the pupil that always had an irrelevant piece of SOP (hey it got me out of trouble). I do remember my headmaster loved him some 212.

Here goes nothing:

Den den den. I will tell mommy for you!

You don’t know your B-a double O-a single K (BOOK). All you know is B-a single O-a single Y (BOY).
When your mother C-a double O-a single K (COOK), all you do is L-a double O-a single K (LOOK).

Two fighters eba make them fight.
Apku separate them.
Amala call police.
Okra draw them go.

Wherever you go (go go gongo)
Wherever you see (sisi eko)
Do not say yes, when you mean to say no (baba Ibadan!)

We are H-A-P-P-Y.
We are H-A-P-P-Y.
We know we are. We are sure we are.
We are H-A-P-P-Y. Happy!

Avogadro’s Law ni so wi pe: equal number of all the gases.
Under the same temperature pressure, contain the same number of molecules.

To help us learn the first 20 elements in the periodic table, our chemistry teacher taught us this:
H He Linda Beg Bisi (2ce).
Come Near Oladele’s Farm Never Nag Maggie (2ce).
Alakara Sing Pass Sulfur, Chlorine Around Kehinde’s Car (Kehinde’s Car).

H-I-P for the HIP for the HIPOPO.
P-O-P-O for the HIPOPO.
Add T-A-M-U-S for the HIPOPOTAMUS. HIPOPOTAMUS!

Mississippi (2ce). M-I-double S-I-double-S-I-double P-I

My name (3ce) [kpamurekeji]
My name is Tonia [kpamurekeji]
I come from xxx state.
Kpamurekeji kerekeji kerekejikeke kpamurekeji

John Bull my son, I sent you to school you don’t know how to spell your name.
You don’t know how to spell your name (2ce)
John Bull my son, I sent you to school you don’t know how to spell your name

My father had a little dog and BINGO was his name o
B-I-N-G-O (2ce) and BINGO was his name o.

10 kobo go marry you.
Marry you marry you.
10 kobo go marry you, your papa no go know, your mama no go know, your sister no go know.

Who sat and watched my infant head while sleeping on my cradle bed?
And tears of sweet affection shed? My mother
When pain and sickness made me cry, who gazed upon my heavy eyes?
And wept for fear that I should die? My mother

I can’t remember the whole song but kudos to whoever formed the song.

In Nigeria, West Africa, there was once an incident.
On the 19th of October when they killed our journalist.
Dele Giwa Dele Giwa
We shall never ever forget you.

Holiday is coming (2ce)
No more ringing bells.
No more teachers cane.
Goodbye teachers, goodbye students.
I am going to… enjoy a holiday. A jolly holiday

This is the Checkmate version.

O Eba (2ce)
When shall I eat eba? (Ireti give us food o)
When shall I eat my native food? I will never forget kpomo

Bata mi a dun ko ko ka (2ce)
Ti m ba kawe mi
Bata mi a dun ko ko ka… I believe the opposite is fe re re fe.

Slave train will carry me home (2ce)
Train carried my brother and my sister to the town.
Carried everyone brother sister brother sister
Slave train carry me home

April fool! Go to school!
Tell your teacher “you’re a fool!”
If she beats you don’t cry just pack your load and go home

How do you do N.A.A boys and girls?
We are so happy happy happy happy!
Singing everywhere, dancing everywhere, singing ever dancing ever everywhere
How do you do N.A.A boys and girls?
We are so happy happy happy happy!

There are so many more of these I can’t even remember them all and probably have some words wrong… my brain is getting old J. There’s Solomon Grundy, Old Roger, Bright and Fresh, Green Bottles, Okon’s Motor, Mr. Macaroni, Who Stole the Meat from the Cooking Pot, Who is in the Garden, Rain Rain Go Away and so much more!

Men we lived better life growing up o! Those days singing some of the songs felt like punishment. Now, I know these songs helped root me.

Happy Singing!
Tonia

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts