Life: Living Above Influences

Image Source


Hey Bloggie!

So last night against all common sense, I watched a Nigerian movie called “X-Class”. I say against common sense because I started watching it late at night and work dey for morning.

This movie took all kinds of turns mehn! I wasn't expecting so many things to happen to the main character and for her to survive. The movie drove home for me not because I have been through all she went through (I honestly would have killed myself) but because it was so real. I have heard tales of girls left out in this world to fend for themselves and the things they have to do to keep afloat, aren't usually pretty. Add being in another country to that equation and you've got “X-Class”.

In the movie, the main character often recalls the words of her mother and uses those to reevaluate her life or sometimes come to the realization that she wouldn't be making her mother proud. This shook me because I too have found myself time and again when situations arise, remembering the words my parents said when I was little or what my choice right at that moment would mean to them.


Growing up, we would have family prayers and at some point that included Bible readings and discussions. One particular discussion has stayed with me since we had it. I cannot really tell you what the reading was, but the message my parents made sure we understood was: just because your friend does something is never good enough reason why you should also do it. For example if your friend says she’ll put her hand in a fire, will you also do the same? These simple statements were my guidance through secondary school when I found myself in similar situations. It was especially trying because I went to boarding school. Sometimes you need more than a strong will to overcome bad influence.

Many a times, the one little wrong turn we take in life can lead us to places unknown and better left unfound. The turn could be something as simple as having one bad friend, lover, family member, or anything at all. But coming up from this turn, is where the main challenge lies. How easy it becomes for us to hold on to what is bad. How easy it becomes for us to give up all our morals, self-worth, and beliefs all in the name of living the life and probably trying to make someone else happy.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that all choices in life are made on sound minds. A lot of people fall into their circumstances and those people usually want to get out of their situations because that isn't where they see themselves. It may or may not happen. But those that choose to go down the bend with their eyes wide open have a harder time coming out. I see a lot of women going down this route more often than should be necessary.
  • Women that have sworn never to live with men before marriage, now don’t see anything wrong with it because the guys have convinced them it’s ok.
  • Women that had focus in life all in the name of marriage turn themselves into maids because it is what their husbands want.
  •  Women that served God everyday with so much trust now can’t be bothered to say “thank you Lord” because the man doesn't believe in God.
  • Women that have let their friends pick out what kind of lives they should live because they want to remain friends.

The list goes on. I only use women because those are the ones I know of and/or personally. I’m sure some guys go through the same things. My people always say that when your light shines bright, a lot of people only want to dim it so always be mindful of the company you keep. X-Class obviously kept horrible company and so her decisions were already suffering.

So far, I haven’t seemed to have any bad influences that stick around. I seem to have shed them at one point or the other. Many friendships have ended based on the fact that I wouldn't do certain things and I've been called names. Many times I have been made fun of all in the name of someone else wanting me to be like them. If I accept you for you, then you should accept me for me. I am grateful to God and my family for strength and hope that I continue to remain far away from these temptations.

That’s it for now Bloggie!
Tonia.

N.B
If you can stand all the wuru wuru accent in the movie, you’ll see that there's a great storyline.

Image Source



Comments

Popular Posts