Omawumi: The Best You Can Be

Omawumi

Hey Bloggie,

So I was listening to Omawumi this morning and instantly fell in love with this song! I'd like to think I’d have come up with something similar to explain the value of discipline if I were a song writer. I liked it enough to listen, pause and write the lyrics (to the best of my ability) so here they are:

Mama muo
Now I see why you said the things that you said to me
All along you wanted me to be the best that I could be
I didn’t see the tears you cried for me
I didn’t hear the prayers that you said on your knees
All I saw was this person who didn’t understand how I felt inside when you said to…

Kneel down, hands up, close your eyes, wash the plates and your clothes, clean those tiles
All of these and many more, priceless values that you taught, made me who I am today

Pekin muo
There will come a time when you will think the same thoughts
But just know I no dey crase when I shout say make you wash the pot
See I love you my precious baby and I know that we’ll be best friends eventually
But now I’ve got to be the mother that you need
It’s my responsibility so make you no vex when I make you…  

Kneel down, hands up, close your eyes, wash the plates and your clothes, clean those tiles
All of these and many more, you’re gonna need to learn before, you can be the best you can be

One day you go grow up and start your own family
And I pray you go pass down these values to children even if you need to make them…

Kneel down, hands up, close their eyes, wash the plates and their clothes, clean those tiles
All of these and many more, they’re gonna have to learn before, they can be the best they can be  
Read your books, choose good friends, get wise, learn to cook, be organized, don’t tell lies
All of these and many more, you’re gonna have to learn before, you can be the best you can be

You can listen to it here: 

How beautiful and true is this song? It made me think of my mom and how she’s always been a friend, but always first and foremost a mother. I hope I can be the same to my children. What’s a little dislike while raising your children if you’re moulding them for a better future? I remember a lot of my friends referred to their moms as “that woman” when we were little and now they’re all great buddies.

Hopefully one day you too can look to the past and laugh about the ridiculous things your mom did or said. If she’s African, you’ll definitely have some stories to tell your friends and children J

Comments

Popular Posts