The Thing About Africans Is...

Image Source

They're amazing! I couldn't resist :)

Dobre Outra Bloggie!

This post was inspired by the horrified look my Caucasian friend had due to a conversation between myself and a Ghanaian. The poor girl!

So I'll start by saying... To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a stronger bond among people of other continents. Let me explain. When 2 Africans meet outside, there's an instant welcoming. Meeting one African just somehow makes things easier and you instantly share some kind of bond that hardly breaks. If there's a new African, you try as much as possible to make the transition so much easier for them by telling them your experiences thus far and giving them survival tips. I haven't noticed this in other people continent-ally. I usually see an instant connection between people from the same country but I don't believe I've ever heard "oh we're Asians" from one Chinese to a Pakistani, or "we're North Americans" from one Northern American to another. This of course, may occur...

On to why my friend was horrified. I believe my conversation with the Ghanaian was going through the usual Nigerian-Ghanaian battle: arguing about the better country and people (don't worry I know mine's better). Of course when we first started talking, we were really civil and talking about things in general. Then he mentioned he had lived in Nigeria back in the day. Usual response? Ghana must go. He tried to salvage their rep by talking about how Nigerians now live in Ghana (yawn). To which I replied, "if we don't go there to spend our money, how will your economy grow?" (applause).

So since we were just having a banter, I had never imagined what it seemed like to other people. My poor friend thought I was having a real fight with a guy I just met a few minutes ago and could possibly get hurt! She came to intervene and was even more horrified because the guy and I immediately started laughing (she probably assumed all my marbles were lost).

So I tried to explain the type of bond Africans share starting with the bigger picture.
  • Put 2 Africans (from North, South, East or West) together in a room with a non-African, they're brothers/sisters and united they stand.
  • Put 2 Africans (East and West) together in a room by themselves, they're brothers/sisters that will engage in a regional banter (West is so much better!).
  • Put 2 West Africans together, they'll get into the better country argument (you already know my thoughts).
  • Put 2 Nigerians from different sections of the country together, they'll get into tribal banter.

Although we get into a lot of banters (obviously), it's hardly ever done with insult. We usually end up laughing about the arguments. I have a Ghanaian friend that I met since the year I got here and 7 years later, we still argue about our countries but there's no love lost there. My Ethiopian friends get the West African heat all the time also. We all still look to each other for support. The arguments we have are normal and all in good fun.

It probably is very hard for a non-African to tell the difference between a real argument between us and a playful squabble (we can be intense and just laugh right after). So I'll say if you ever hear Africans outside of home arguing about countries or tribes, most of the time they're just having good fun. Of course there'll always be the other side of the spectrum.

Here's a little Nigerian rhythm to enjoy - 2face's "Outside". Oh and did I mention 2face and I are the same tribe? That would make him an overall winner in the African banter.



Do Svidaniya!
Tonia

And yes, that is Russian. No, I'm not fluent, but can say one more word in it :)

Comments

  1. Very true indeed. I mentioned something similar in my post "nigeria in diversity, yet united we stand. Also have had same experiences. It's actually really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Keren?! I remember reading that post!! I think every African that has left home will have almost the same experience anywhere. It always gladdens my heart when we unite in spite of our differences :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts