Labour Day Weekend, 2013



Image Source

Me: Hey Bloggie!
Bloggie: Welcome back! About time you got back from vacation! So how was it? Are you gonna tell me all about it? Tell me tell me!
Me: Well you know I can’t resist a good plea. So of course I’ll tell you. Why don’t you sit back and we’ll relive my vacation together J.

The day was Thursday. I was all packed by 8 a.m. and was super pumped to go to the office because I knew vacation began immediately after work. I spoke to my friend “L” who lives in DC and thus was my first stop. Really excited, I kept thinking how much fun I was going to have seeing my friends but I never could have imagined the type of fun we had!

After work, “M” takes me to the bus stop and sweetly waits for me to get on before heading home (wait was an hour +). Did I hear you say awww? J And there officially began my vacation. I met “L” at the bus stop in DC and we began our Virginia journey. After much drama, we took the train and made it to the airport. Then we had our main drama. The shuttle from the hotel apparently only picks up their guests from terminal A. Well that terminal was the hardest terminal to find! We walked around following signs that led us nowhere. We stood around waiting for the airport’s shuttle that never came. We ended up going back into the airport and started walking. After about an hour of walking, we finally found it! Phew! So we went to the hotel and checking in was fun. The guy at the front desk is Ethiopian and we all joked around for a little bit. He kept trying to get us to buy Ben and Jerry’s ice cream from the hotel. We of course said if it was free, we’d be willing to take them. Need I say no ice cream? J

“L” and I then went to get dinner (or early breakfast) around 12:30 a.m. We (well I) had Middle Eastern food and was warned by “L” not to get chickpeas but did I listen? (I’ll spare you the details of my learning experience). We went back to the room, gisted, took pictures and finally slept for two hours before it was go time again. I had to leave my little girl L but I’ll definitely see her soon J.

Obviously, this is now Friday. Flew into Chicago early in the morning and met “D”! I hadn't seen her in more than a year. And before this, I hadn't seen “L” in 3 months. We caught the train and got talking immediately. We got home and were still talking and waiting for “T” to get in from Houston (I also hadn't seen her in a year). We later took the bus so “D” could get her eyebrows did and by the time we got home, “T” was almost there! Few minutes later, all three of us were together. This hadn't happened since 2010 so you can understand why all this is exciting. I know I keep too much track of time. It’s one of my amazing faults J.

So there we were talking, laughing, catching up and “D” made us dinner later. We just chilled out the rest of the night. Saturday, we went to an Ethiopian restaurant down the road for lunch and it was really good. We proceeded to walk off all the extra food we just inhaled and walked up to the lake. Water, sand, birds, dogs... it was really pretty. We swung on the swings, took pictures and had a blast reliving childhood on those swings. Later that night, we went to a church concert and met one of “T’s” friends “De”. The concert had its good moments such as this amazing singer from California (I forget her name) and a guy that did amazing spoken words (I think his name’s Ezekiel). The other part of the concert, we won’t even talk about but I will say though that I could never ever be a fan of the pastor. There.

We went to IHOP for dinner/early breakfast (didn't leave the church till almost midnight). It was good to have breakfast food and talk about the parts of the concert that I am omitting for good purposes. We got quite the interesting cab driver and headed back home. The girls had gotten together last year and had tried out a brunch place so you know as a certified foodie; I had to try it too.

Sunday, brunch here we come! We went to Tweet and got all kinds of food! The food was great! From the hot chocolate I got, to the amazing gluten-free pumpkin pancakes and even their fruits! We were stuffed! We were meeting another of “T’s” friends later in the day but had a little time to kill. “T” went to get her eyebrows did (before you ask, no I didn't complete the eyebrow circle). I saw a sign for bubble tea at a restaurant and we decided to get some. Well let me tell you Bloggie never get “Thai iced tea bubble tea” from a Vietnamese restaurant. Don’t do it! It was awful! We should have gotten their smoothies and added bubbles to them. “D” was smart enough to get a smoothie and “T” and I had to deal with the disappointing combination of two great drinks! Sigh.

We caught up with “T’s” friend “K” and headed to the Navy Pier. It was awesome! We played putt-putt (finally got to play it and got a hole-in-one!), rode some spinning ride, got on the Ferris wheel, got funnel cakes, watched Cirque Shanghai: Dragon's Thunder, and rode the carousel. Let me say that I’m very proud of “T” for getting on those rides (well all but the carousel) because she’s not a ride person and she conquered some of her fears J. Later, we went to “The Village” for dinner. It was definitely a fun-filled day and the girls decided that with all that food, we had to go running the next day. I objected many times and hoped they wouldn't wake up early enough for us to run. My hope didn't come through and I’m glad.

Monday = Excersie day. I believe we must have covered about 5 miles (or more) to and fro. We walked to the lake, did some exercise in front of the water, danced to some music and of course took some pictures. It was definitely a blast. We had discussed trying out another brunch place the day before and we went home to shower and try that. This time, we went to Yolk. and got even more food than we did the previous day! In total, we had 9 plates on our table and we definitely did some damage to our food. We of course had to walk off all that excess baggage. We took the scenic route and got a lot of pictures as we went along. We then decided to peek at some shops and that was when wahala came. I totally forgot I was dealing with 2 shopaholics. They did not disappoint. If you could hear them try to justify their buys, I tell you your belly would hurt. I can’t resist. Here are a few; “I don’t have that shade of pink”, “The shoes that I have that look like these are closed toes”, “I can’t leave this here! My feet look great in them”, “See how well it matches my outfit? I have another dress that would be perfect for this”. Smh. Before dinner, we went to Sprinkles and got amazing cupcakes. For dinner, we got “Pho" at a Vietnamese restaurant then it was time to bid “D” adios L. “T” and I went to her hotel room and just about had enough time to change for the night (“T” had work in the morning).

I spent most of Tuesday in bed and as soon as “T” got back from work, we went with her coworkers to get dinner. We went to Crisps, an amazing wing place and of course got wings. As soon as we were done eating, it was go time for me L. Had to head out and catch my flight. This time, I was getting there late and wouldn't see “L” but I am super proud of myself. I navigated myself from Chicago to Virginia, from Virginia to DC, DC to Philly and Philly to home. Had to come in to work an hour after I got home (no I didn't sleep at work but I did pass out for 12 hours after).

There you have it Bloggie. My short but fun and love filled vacation. I miss my friends and look forward to many many more reunions with them and a host of other friends!

Next time, perhaps we’ll talk in real time so you get the full details of my adventures.

Adios Bloggie!
Tonia

Comments

Popular Posts