Which African Country Did You Visit?

Rant Alert!!

So I usually am very upset when I hear someone say "I went to Africa." They just make that broad statement and don't bother to clarify. I immediately want to yell out... Did you really go to Africa? Or did you go to an African country? Could you please expatiate on the part of Africa you went to? You're not less than a year old so you should be able to know what country's visa you applied for and is stamped in your passport!!!

Although I've always had this pet peeve, an episode of The Tonight Show took me over the wall. So last week, Chelsea (don't know her last name) was on the show. She came by to promote her book titled "Ugandan be kidding me." With a title like that, it would make sense for her to talk about her experiences in Uganda right? Wrong! She talked about her experiences in "Africa"!!! She didn't even bother to say what region of the continent. She also talked about how "they" don't make margaritas in Africa and how the audience could now go to Africa and ask for margaritas. For reals?! Like seriously???

I'm not usually sensitive about issues but this one reached my core. Many times, when we hear people call Africa a country, we tend to give them the evil eye and talk about how ignorant they are. But how can we blame them? People who have been to a country there don't bother to mention where they have gone to and broadcast on TV, their experiences in so called Africa. If I were a child and heard those lines, I too would think Africa was a country because these people would know. After all, they did go there. I mean no one says I went to Europe without mentioning a country. You don't say you went to Asia without mentioning a country. You don't say you went to North America without mentioning what country. It's just mind blowing that this is still happening in 2014! Africa's the SECOND LARGEST continent! Her countries have names, people, and good food. I have no idea where Chelsea went and what she ate, but I'm sorry babe, it doesn't speak for the continent. Here's how big she is...
African Countries


It's high time people started putting a little effort into their speech. I mean it really won't kill any foreigner to say what African country they visited. The ENTIRE continent is not the same. It would be like me going to Mexico and saying that reflects the U.S.A. I mean they are both North American countries. They should be exactly the same right? Or saying the same about European countries.

I just think it would do generations lots of good when people start using the names of African countries and stop generalizing things about the continent. I've also noticed some Africans don't bother to mention their nationality anymore. You ask where they are from and due to making things easier for others, they simply say Africa. It should not happen! Tell people where you're from and be proud. They would have learnt something that day. And if their brains are too lazy to process new information, you really don't want to be talking to them anyways.

Here's one of my favorite videos. It's about stereotypes in the continent. Ironically, Africa is used instead of a country.


I don't think I'm asking for much. Just please say where you went to before you begin to describe your experiences (amazing or otherwise). The country's visa is stamped in your passport and your ticket has your final destination as well. I bet it isn't Africa.

Thank you,
Tonia.

Comments

Popular Posts