#Bringbackourgirls: A Voice Is A Powerful Weapon

I fear for my country. I fear for my people. I fear for the world.


Currently, the abduction of over 200 girls from a boarding school in Nigeria is a trending topic. For two weeks, these girls have been taken away and nothing has been done. There have been peaceful demonstrations by mothers and fathers, there have been videos and tweet from celebrities, and there have also been events showing solidarity.

Notice that I didn’t mention the Federal Government as an example of support or action. Simply because they have done nothing but say what an evil act this is. I haven’t seen anything from the First Lady of the country; a mother who also has a female child and is supposed to be the mother of the country. Not one appearance has been made by her on this issue. Not a single word to the mothers of these young girls. In this day and age where human trafficking is almost the order of the day, not one move has been made in the abduction of over 200 girls.

Instead of a disturbed president, we’re presented with a joyous and gleeful man who is having fun at the worker’s day parade. That Reuben Abati thought these were pictures a distraught country would like to see is way beyond me. I also like that his tweet was focused purely on the bomb blast.

Reuben Abati @abati1990
President Jonathan summons security chiefs to a special security meeting following bomb blast at Nyanya. Meeting on-going at the Villa.


Is this meeting supposed to be fruitful or are we supposed to be happy that there has been a summoning of security?

It’s totally unbelievable to me how this (as well as many others) has been swept under the rug for so long. We’re talking about a religious country that has pastors making prophesies here and there, pastors that always see one kind of vision of another. Are you telling me visions are now area specific? Nobody has prayed to God to show them where these girls are? Or is God angry with us the reason they’ll try to sell?
We’re also talking about a land that believes in traditional worshiping. Even the babalawos can’t see anything? Nobody has sought to take this to a traditional house and consult? Nobody is trying to sacrifice a cow to appease the gods and cleanse the land? How can?

These girls were taken from a federal school. Has there been any mention of tightening security? Or is this a matter of not until it comes to my door will I do something? I read an article this morning (here) that showed someone believing it to be a Hausa problem. Unfortunately, there are so many just like him. These are the same people that always believe that Hausas should be by themselves. If you strongly believe that this sect is made up of Hausas alone, I say show me your proof! That they are located there shouldn’t fully imply the people are responsible. Did you watch Harry Potter? Voldermort killed mud-bloods and he was one. It’s all about the story you’re able to sell your audience. Moreover, this is your country man!!!

I could go on and on about this, but the most important thing to do right now, is to spread the word. So please, join me as I have joined others in spreading the word using the hashtags below. Our shares just might be what will save these girls and my country.
#bringbackourgirls #chibokgirls

Thank you,
Tonia

Comments

Popular Posts