The Return of the Ex

A simple text was all you sent.
A simple text that read "Hey! It's been a while!! How are you doing?"

I starred at those words for so long, my eyes watered.
I couldn't believe you had text me!
I deleted your number many years ago but the brain is a funny organ. It stores some nonsense.
Your number is part of that nonsense. I knew it was you.

While starring at those simple words, I constructed so many replies in my head.
I wanted to ask so much.
I wanted to know how you were doing? If the years had been kind to you?
I wanted to give you the highlights of my life, tell you how I wished we had remained friends, and so much more.

But I remembered.

You see, my brain and heart were faster than my hands. So in mid sentence, I recalled...
How you hurt me.
How you left me with nothing but deafening silence.
How I hated myself for giving you the power to make me hurt.
How I cried myself to sleep many many nights.
How long it took for me to nurse my broken heart.
How long it took for my friends to stop feeling sorry for me.
How long it took for me to let another guy see the real me.
How you promised me forever and pulled it away.
These and so much more.

And I realized that hard as it may have been, I learnt many life lessons from that experience.
I was forcefully introduced to sides of me I never knew existed... the really fragile and the brokenhearted.
I learnt how to handle both and became a better me.
I have you to thank for that.

As much as I would like to know why you left me without a single word, find out about your life, and probably plot my revenge, it is unnecessary.
The me you used to know is gone.
She had her time with you and is content.
She's not looking to relieve the past and she wishes you well.

As a result, the only reply I have for you is deafening silence.

Comments

  1. Good Woman. Very profound words and thoughts. Words and thoughts to live by as this haunting you told us about is more universal than you may even imagine. <3 Nice work love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Awesome response to an ex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts