You Were Right

Image Source

We were rug rats when we met.

I still remember how we ran around in our yards wearing shorts and splashing water on each other, playing, laughing and crying together.
We were best friends and the future was so bright.

Then we grew apart.

My family and I moved away and we were so young, we couldn't understand why this had to happen. 
We promised to always remain friends and swapped pictures of each other (I still have them).
But we didn't remain friends. No one wrote or called the other.

You had become my past.

Fast forward to after college and having been dragged to an event, I met none other than you.
You stood before me looking so familiar and yet not.
You looked very much like the boy in my photographs; the one that was my first close and best friend, the one whose boyish grin was a definite telltale sign of mischief.
Yet, you had become a man. A man sporting the same grin as my boy.

As though no time had passed, we fell into routine.
Talking, laughing and catching up. It was so surreal.
We exchanged numbers and promised to get together later.
I was so excited; I got home and talked my mom’s ear off!
I also teased her about how she always said we would never meet again.
You didn't know this, but I was very sad when we moved and felt it was my fault we couldn't be friends anymore. 
I was angry for months and compared all my friends to you.  

You called me that same night and we talked for hours!
We talked about any and everything and only got off the phone because we both had work in the morning.
In catching up, I found out you were successful in your field just like I knew you’d be. You were after all, my nerdy friend.
We tried to catch up as often as we could on the phone and when that was no longer enough, decided to meet for dinner.

During dinner, you asked if anyone had stolen your wife.
I laughed as I realized you always told me you’d be the one to marry me.
I told you how you were wrong then and how you couldn't be my husband.
I also told you I was in a relationship and had been for a couple years.
You smiled and said “I’m never wrong”.
We enjoyed dinner and said our goodbyes. But our friendship was staying this time.

Over time, you met my boyfriend. When you started seeing someone, we all went on double dates.
I had the best of both worlds. My friend had come back and got along with my boyfriend.
I joked about how great it’d be if all four of us could have a double wedding. 
That way, I would have proof you were wrong and leave all those that thought we would be a couple, saucer-eyed.

The joke was on me as my boyfriend broke up with me.

When I called you, you didn't hesitate. You left work to come be with me.
I still remember that day clearly.
You had on a white shirt and I cried my mascara and eyeliner onto your shirt.
I had snot in my nose and looked a hot mess.
When I finally quieted down, you told me how beautiful I looked and that it was my ex’s loss.
I didn't see what you saw and I still can’t imagine what you saw that day. I was an eyesore!

We split up again.

I left the country to further my education and we kept in limited touch.
I was busy with school and you with work and life.
I teased you each time we spoke about your girlfriend and how I wanted to wear “ashwebi”.
You didn't tell me she left you and got married not long after I left.
You just always laughed it off.

When I came back home, you were there to pick me up.
You finally told me the truth about your ex and later asked me to dinner.
During dinner, you told how you felt about me.
How you loved my personality, how the last couple years had been rough but you prayed each day that I’d come back to you and not go into the arms of another.
You told me how your life had no meaning without me. 
That you would fight tooth and nail to make and keep me happy always.
You told me so much.

I told you I liked what we had and didn't want to ruin it because you were too important to me.
How if we dated and it didn't work out, I’d never forgive myself.
I told you so little.

That was a year and a half ago.

And today my friend, you’re getting married!
I see you at the altar looking at your bride with love filled eyes.
You look at her as though there’s nobody else in the room.
You can’t stop wearing your Cheshire grin, and you don’t want to.
You’re obviously a man in love and very proud to show it.
You’re even doing your giddy dance right now.
Oh wait! I believe you just flashed your boyish grin.
Everyone’s whispering about how happy you are but you don’t see or hear them.

I know your bride will make you happy.
Happier than you thought you could be a year and a half ago.
She’s your best friend, your confidant, sister, mother and the mother of your children to come.
She too, can’t stop smiling.
I am not afraid you will forget me or that our friendship will come to an end.
I am not in any way jealous and bear her no grudges.
How could I? You’re making me the luckiest and happiest woman on earth today!!! 

So I want to say thank you for fighting tooth and nail for me.
Thank you for loving me for so long and letting me grow to love you.
Thank you for not leaving me alone and for being patient.
Thank you also, for not shutting me out of your life a year and half ago.
Without you, I wouldn't be feeling the joy I’m feeling today and know that I’ll feel for the rest of my life.

So yes, as pick up lineish as it sounds, you’re the missing puzzle piece I needed to feel complete.
And it doesn't hurt me to say, you were right when you said you’d be the one to marry me.

Comments

  1. Is this a true story? Feels real and like a fiction at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts