Nigerian Movie: King of Boys


Hey Bloggie,

I waited months before I could watch Kemi Adetiba’s #KingofBoys. To know me is to know my love for Nigerian movies runneth very deep. This movie has been on my list since the trailer came out last year. I love love love me some Toyin Tomato aka Sola Sobowale. Funny enough, the character she played a long time ago has become her assigned name to the people who watched her on Super Story – that’s how believable she made the character. I’m probably showing my age with this information :D. Also part of the cast? My girl Toni Tones. Not my girl because I know her (I wish) but because I enjoy her acting and her personality also.

When going home this summer, on the top of my must watch Nigerian movies was King of Boys. After a few days at home, I started making noise in any ear that was unfortunate to lend itself. Everyone tried but we were unable to find a way for me to watch the movie during my visit. I gave up and accepted my fate. Then on my return flight while scrolling through movie categories, I found a Nigerian movies section. What?! I could never have imagined my luck, my KOB was there for my viewing pleasure. Thank you, Emirates! On the flip side, I could have watched it inflight on my way to LagosπŸ˜‘.

Now to the movie. It is nothing short of amazing! It’s a long movie (almost 3 hours) but so worth the length. No scenes were unnecessary and no one disappointed in their roles. It’s the story of how a business woman conducts her business, her relationship with her family members, and the intricacies of power tussles. It’s not really a new storyline but the storytelling and plot twists made it an extraordinary movie. I absolutely love how strong the main character is and you also get to see strength in vulnerability. Kemi truly brought out the best in all her actors and actresses. So much so, that I now see Toni Tones and Paul Sambo in completely different lights. Before this movie, my favourite Toni Tones performance was from season 1 of an NdaniTvV web series called “Rumour has it” which you should absolutely watch if you haven’t. I loved the honesty and openness she brought out in her character. Paul Sambo has been around and I’ve watched quite a few of his movies but this role stretched his acting and made it memorable for me.

King of Boys is now available on Netflix and Amazon Prime so if you haven’t seen it, make some snacks and settle in to enjoy. And let me know what you think. I don’t want to say too much and ruin anything for anyone but trust me, you’ll admire the strength, honesty, ignorance, goals, betrayal, jealousy, sadness and love portrayed in the movie. The only thing that would have made my movie watching experience better is if I watched it in a Nigerian cinema or if I had watched it with my family or friends. I couldn’t scream inflight so I imagine my eyes were almost popping out my sockets when watching πŸ˜ƒ. So, I plan to re-watch it with any of my peeps once we’re able to get around to it so I can relive my emotions and let out some emotions.

I’m just very happy with the success of Nollywood movies both home and abroad. As an avid movie watcher, my heart is super glad. I’ll write later on some other noteworthy movies and web series I’ve watched/been watching over the years. On my list for tonight is a movie called “Tea Room.” I hope it delivers 😊.

Below is the trailer for King of Boys and also our song of the week, Simi’s “Lovin” – she was a queen in this video hehehe.


Have a fantastic week, 
Tonia

Comments

Popular Posts