A Deeper Look At Condemnation

Dear Bloggie,

I usually don't talk about religion and not because it's not important to me, but because too often people use it to defend wrong acts or to start problems. That being said, you must be wondering where I'm going with this. Well I am a Catholic, I love being Catholic and will probably remain so for the rest of my life. Nevertheless, an event yesterday really had me thinking about what the church had been representing.

So yesterday I went to mass as usual (no need to clap). But when mass was done, I noticed a parishioner waiting to talk to the priest. I happened to be waiting for the priest also and overheard their conversation. The gist of it is he was finding it hard to sleep since the Pope said his what I guess is now an infamous line among Catholics: "who am I to judge as long as they walk in the light of Christ" in reference to homosexuals. He couldn't believe the Pope said so. How dare he say he can't judge these individuals? It's a huge sin and should not be ignored.

I couldn't believe it! This man is supposedly Christian. He's Christ-like. He's supposed to understand the trials and tribulations Jesus went through. Mass ended not five minutes ago! How then can he say so easily that he can't sleep because the Pope is saying what the Lord has already told us: "judge not so you shall not be judged". Since when is it part of Christianity to be happy when others are suffering? It might be a far cry, but this guy's immediate relief when the priest said the Pope didn't say he was in support of homosexuality but pointing out that it wasn't his place to judge felt to me like Schadenfreude. 

Since when do we get overly happy about those that are being cast in roles they don't want to play? If we should be losing sleep about not being able to judge people because we "know" in our hearts of hearts that they are committing sin, why then has fornication been forgotten about? Most people don't even know the word because society has made it the norm and acceptable. Do we also condemn gluttons in our society? Gluttony is after all, a sin. Do we condemn adulterers? Or have we found a way to deal with these "less important" sins?

All I'm saying Bloggie is why are we focusing on categorizing sin? Why are we trying to do the Lord's work for him? He who built the whole world, flooded and built it again. He who appeared in a ball of fire. He who parted the seas, walked on water, and is obeyed by the winds and waves. We've gotten to that point where we think he can't do his own work? Is it not our duty as Christians to be Christ-like? Are we making homosexuals the tax collectors and the Samaritans of our time? Those people were given chances and we learnt their hearts had nothing to do with the categories they had been placed in. Why aren't we learning and trusting Him? Being a heterosexual in no way means that one will make heaven. Remove the log in your eye before you try to remove the speck in another's eye.

I think I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening. My last thoughts on this are: if people believe that there are no grey lines and everything is black and white and exactly as they see it, tell me if after having carried your child in your womb for nine months and worked hard to raise him/her, would you hate and condemn your child because of their sexuality? Do they honestly believe that sending their children out in the world with no family, love, and care to fend for themselves while they lose track of their lives is not a sin?

Regret is real and life is short. Don't let hate take root in your heart. Help us Lord to trust that you have control and help us not to be hasty in our judgments.

Adios Bloggie!
Tonia

Comments

Popular Posts