Hooking Up Is Not For Everyone


Bloggie how far?

Before I begin, let me first take a deep breath (explanation to follow). Done!

As a certified hook-upper (I certify from my mama belle), I know the pains it takes to hook people up. You can’t just assume that because you are friends with two people of the opposite (or same) sex that they will instantly hit it off (my dear, your friend + your friend doesn't always = a good thing). That they have you in common doesn't mean they’ll have anything else in common. I've heard people complain about their hook-uppers. From “I can’t believe she could even give that guy my number’’ to ‘‘all this time, I thought she was my friend!’’ Just like that, some friendships have either ended or not remained the same. All I’m saying is if you no sabi do am, no take style try am unless you ready for consequence.

Assisting my point here is Nigerian movie “Bursting Out” (shameless but relevant movie plug). If you watch the movie, you’ll understand that there’s a skill to hooking people up. Little detour here… I love this movie!!! My sisters and I use lines from this movie from time to time. It also helps that I love the cast J. Okay back to writing. In the movie, you see Zara’s friends trying to hook her up (marriage na by force). If you’re like my sisters and I, you’ll feel for Zara when she has to meet some of these guys. I mean it was so obvious… what were her friends thinking?! If her friendships hadn't been rooted in love and years, I tell you she had every reason to dump her girlfriends. As in, the guys were that bad.

Hooking people up or giving recommendations or connecting people (all na the same) is not a moi moi something. You have to be willing to invest time if you really want to hook people up. Look for people that could be compatible not people you think should be compatible. They should have something other than you in common. My secret is to introduce them as friends and see if they hit it off. If they do, then I continue to fan the fire by dropping amazing gist about one to the other (oya pay me for that info… I’m not joking). My best analogy of a relationship has always been applying for a job. The ones that have the qualifications are interviewed and only the one that passes the interview with flying colours gets the job. So if you’re hooking your friend up, check his/her job posting and scan resumes accordingly. It’s definitely acceptable if you don’t have matches for your friend (tell the truth and save everyone the drama). Don’t sweat it.

You must be wondering why I’m over explaining this thing Bloggie. Well I’ll tell you. Some of my guy friends have come from some sort of hook up. They have ended up my friends because either the timing was wrong, e.g. I moved across the Atlantic or changed states, or we decided our friendship was great. Anyways, my hook ups (however few) have been cool except now. Recently, someone tried to hook me up and let me tell you Bloggie it’s been a WTH moment since day 1. As in ehn, the thing has not attempted to work at all. Not that I’m not trying. I am! The thing just can’t/won’t pick up. No conversation, no chemistry, nothing in common… need I go on? Obviously this is a case of not checking the job descriptions I’m posting (change is constant) and I have to admit it is very annoying. This is why I had to take a deep breath. I just got off the phone with this guy and this time I am convinced it has been a colossal waste of my time and I just can’t suffer another conversation. I’ll spare you the boring details.

To all the people out there that have had to endure a horrible friend hook up, I feel you. Here’s to never having to endure another one of these!


Oh and here’s the trailer for Bursting Out . Enjoy J
Tonia




Comments

Popular Posts