10 Year Secondary School Anniversary!

10th Anniversary
Sup Bloggie!

It's officially 10 years since I was the eager beaver leaving boarding school grounds, awaiting University life. OMG!! Boy do I feel a little old!! Thinking back, at this time we had all signed yearbooks and written our 5 and 10 year plans in those books. If I remember correctly, I wrote that in 5 years from then, I'd be in medical school and in 10 years, I'd be a married doctor with 2 kids. What??!! I used to be oh so goal oriented. I was going to medical school, going to become a mom, and that was that. Geez! 

Luckily, in my senior year of college, I took an epidemiology course, became interested in public health and gradually lost the zeal for medical school. Well let me confess... I was initially going to take public health classes in freshman year because a guy I was interested in, had a public health major. I wanted to understand what he was studying so we could talk about it :). Don't roll your eyes! I was young. In my defense, he was doing this in Nigeria and he was the first Nigerian I met in my age range whose major was outside the box. Anyways, the classes were always full so I gave up. That Epi course was meant to be and so were all my decisions after that class (although they didn't seem that way each time). Some of my friends still believe I'm happy not being a doctor (doesn't matter what I say) and I guess I don't blame them. I was (still am) quite the medical/science geek. I would love to take medical classes but no longer have an interest in practicing medicine. What then would be the point? 

I'm very glad I'm able to reflect on 10 years ago. Boarding school was so much fun. I had the fortune of going to both an only girls school, and a co-ed one. Both were great (different advantages). Most of my life skills were developed there so undergrad was a breeze. I'm slightly a different person today but I believe my core has stayed the same. We haven't planned  an official class reunion, but some classmates have gotten together this year already. I know I'll see a couple before the year runs out. So I'm super excited. 

To all my 2004 graduates, HAPPY 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! Be glad about all your successes till date. It's never all sunshine for anyone. I also want to take this time to remember those classmates who are no longer with us. May their souls rest in perfect peace. Amen.

Have a good week ahead, 
Tonia

Comments

Popular Posts