Nigerian Cinema Experience

Ikeja Mall


Hey Bloggie, 

Going to the cinema in Nigeria was a must for me. When I went home the first time late last year, I begged harassed my sister to take me to the movies. "We have to go see a Nigerian film in the cinema together", "this will be a part of our bonding experience", were the words I kept repeating. Needless to say, she got tired. Score! 

After days of hassling her, we went to the Ikeja shopping mall on the Sunday before I left. If you haven’t been, the mall is quite big with different stores and restaurants. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to walk very nook and cranny of it. We don’t live in Ikeja and had already been to the island earlier to see the tailor. Ergo, there was no time to misbehave only time to go to the ticket counter. We saw “When Love Happens”. It's a really good movie. I'm really glad we went.

Now while the movie was playing, I wondered how the experience would be different from what I had grown accustomed to. This was also a question my sister had asked me several times (when I was constantly harassing her). To which I had answered with conviction that it had to be different. It just had to be. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm pleased to say I wasn't wrong!! I’m still dancing a jig at my victory.

First, let’s talk popcorn! If you’re Nigerian, you know that sweet popcorn we chased in primary school and probably other schools? The one we used break money to buy? Guguru and epa (popcorn and groundnut/peanut)? That’s what they sell there! As soon as I took my first mouthful, my mouth quickly transformed and said “yes! You have done me well young lady!” I probably ate the entire bag within the first twenty minutes. I usually don’t get theater popcorn because the salt and butter are just not my cup of tea. On the rare occasion that I do get theater popcorn, I’m either hungry, at the theater with little kids, with friends who want to share, or on a date. I’ll mindlessly eat the popcorn. But best believe there was no mindless eating of my Nigerian popcorn. I savored every mouthful and wanted more after the movie. My sister had to drag me to the door to remove further popcorn thoughts.  

Secondly, I talk during movies. No I’m not so loud that that you need to give me the evil eye and neither do you have to sit chairs away to avoid me. If there’s a part that shocks me or makes me go wow, I’ll more than likely be saying something to my companion. So when I was in room full of people and a scene from the movie required you to feel sorry for someone what happened? We all talked! It was as though a prior agreement had been made. We all prodded characters when we felt they needed it. Someone even yelled when there was a major screw up by a character. It was just great! All the inflections from everyone made the movie so much better because it obviously elicited the feelings that were meant to be elicited. I also need to add that when it was time to laugh, it was just pure belly laugh. No giggles and no side eye glances :).

 I obviously had a fantastic time and will pay more attention to differences in cultures that separate or unite strangers. Who would have thought the movies capable of such an effect! Have you had a similar experience? Please share :).
Lagos

Here's a happy jam for you this week... Bracket's "Beautiful Baby" ft. Flavour. I've noticed that with my schedule getting crazier and crazier, I can only post once a week for now. So I've chosen Sundays. When I get the chance however, I'll put as many as I can. I also need to update my antivirus (reason for not posting yesterday). 


Have a fabulous week,
Tonia

Comments

  1. Going to the cinema is so much fun. It's like watching a movie at home with friends and family, only this time you want the effects of the big and sounds. That's what many people go to the cinemas for. The effects. Glad you had a swell time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes o! It is indeed very fun. Popcorn made me forget effect sef :D but I'll definitely go again when I visit home. It was fun to watch a Nigerian movie in the cinema :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts