A Happy Ending to a Long Journey


Hello Bloggie!!

Been a minute eh? I know it's been 2 months since I've been gone. I remember saying I wouldn't be gone again but of course circumstances make us who we are. Since the last happy update I provided on my visa process, I encountered several unhappy ones that made me just cringe and stay away from contacting people. Instead of providing the horror story that was the last couple months, I'll share the good things that happened along the way and also provide guides in another post to other people that will in the future embark on a similar journey.

Let's start with the best news. MY WORK VISA HAS BEEN APPROVED AND I AM BACK TO WORK!!!! WOOHOO!! It took 5 months (where did the time go?) total to get to this stage. If I learnt nothing else from this experience, I learnt that patience truly is a virtue, nothing beats having an understanding boss (when I become someone's supervisor, I hope that I'm even half as understanding as my boss), and that fighting for what you want is a priceless experience that opens you to more possibilities.

I TRAVELLED TO NIGERIA AFTER 7 YEARS!!! Although this was a necessary trip and part of my visa struggle, it was WONDERFUL to be home! Of course as you can imagine, with all the Ebola scare and all I wondered what kind of hell travel would be and what steps I'd be required to take once I made it back. But of course, my boss and friends reminded me that I was indeed going home and to forget about all that drama and have a good time. So I did! It was great! So much has changed in Lagos but thankfully, a lot remained the same. Once I went to my visa interview and got approved for a visa, I ate from sun up to sun down. I ate Mr. Biggs' meat pie and sausage roll (it was a requirement), Gala, plantain chips, isiewu, actual pounded yam not flour, leaf wrapped moi moi, masa with vegetable stew, boli, roasted corn and pear, as well as any and everything my mom cooked. My drinking consisted of Hollandia, LaCasera, fura de nono, in one time of need; pure water, some very yummy wine and others. I discovered the Dominos pizza and ColdStone creamery next to me so of course I had to try them also :D. I got the Bailey's ice cream. Yummy! Let's not forget fresh fruits also :). I didn't get to see all my siblings though :(. Unfortunately, the timing was not convenient for visiting but I got to see some old friends and made some new ones as well as spend time with all I had the opportunity to see.

I GOT A WELCOME PARTY!!! It was the best! Upon my return from Lagos, my friends and boss had a welcome back party for me. It is undoubtedly one of the sweetest things that have been done for me. I was so elated, I couldn't even cry (mostly because I had cried on the plane while reflecting on all that had happened). I got hugs all round and a signed card. You want to know the best part? All my decorations were minion themed!! I got a banner, balloons, table stands and so much more all minion based. It was and still is the absolute best thing! Now the entire office is aware of my childish ways hehehe. I also got an orchid. I'm going to try my very best not to kill it. I haven't really had much luck with plants.

And last but not least, I've MISSED YOU! It feels good to be back and to once again be able come on here and share my good news. It'll be a slow catch up, but I'm up to it.

Have a great rest of the week,
Tonia

Image

Comments

  1. Great to have you back Tonia. Been off myself in the last one month to face work, not sure if I'm totally back yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts